Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Training or Working Out?

Do you workout?... Or do you train? Training implies that you are preparing yourself to perform at some level for a specific activity at some future date. Working out has a much more generic implication. I find it much easier to train than workout. Infuse my excersice routine with meaning and all of a sudden I don't have near as much trouble waking up early for a run or eating a bunch or egg-whites for breakfast instead of a bowl of cereal. And not just a long term goal... I need something immediate. When I think about doing Ironman Wisconsin in 2011 I don't feel the urgency to train the way I do when I know that the Cap-Tex triathlon in Austin is only two weeks away and the other two guys in my relay are hoping that I give them the fastest mile swim I can possibly give them.

I say this to emphasize the importance of short-term goals. Much like college... when the professor assigns a major paper the first week of class and makes it due the last week of class, I'm probably not even thinking about the paper until the last couple of weeks before it's due (if not the night before). However, it is not possible to "cram" for an Ironman triathlon (or even smaller events like a marathon, half marathon, or even 10k). The sudden onslaught of training only leads to injury and pain. So pick a few events throughout the year that you can work toward. Cram for those smaller events and you'll end up building that base level of fitness without having to develope a grand scheme for some far off event and commit months and months in advance. This will keep you from getting frustrated with interruptions in your training schedule, and help overcome the urge to abandon it all together.

So far I couldn't be happier with the way this year's training has gone. The CB&I triathlon went great. I placed 10th in my Clydesdale division (and that happend to be my specific personal goal). The back is holding up well with the bike riding, running, and swimming. I think the strength training over the winter after surgery has made all of the difference. It has enabled me to exercise worry free. And so far, I've lost at least 10lbs since December. So keep at it!!! It does eventually pay off. And if you think triathlon is too difficult and you would never be able to do one. I encourage you to attend one. The race day environment is like none other on the face of this planet. You will see people in far worse shape than you are participating in something you never thought you could do. You just might get hooked. Congrats to my buddy Stephen Shaw for completing his first CB&I (he did quite well as a matter of fact!) I know he had a blast and I'm sure he will do it again.

Now go sweat it out!!!
Soulrider

No comments:

Post a Comment