Monday, March 22, 2010

Starting Out

Hey there,
While searching the internet for a good place to read about, learn about, and receive inspiration for... not necessarily competing... but participating in the wonderful world of triathlons, I realized that I didn't really relate to many of the articles, stories, and testimonies I was reading. I'm not a 5% bodyfat type guy, looking to one-up the guy next to me (component wise) in transition. I just love the sport, and I love staying active, and will forever be balancing this with my desire to enjoy the finer things in life... such as double cheeseburgers. I do believe that within most able bodied people lies the ability to transform their bodies into an extremely competitive racing machine, all it takes is discipline, time, intelligent training, adequate monetary resources, and a flexible support group. Not everybody has each piece of that puzzle at their disposal, and even if they did, not everybody desires to spend that amount of free-time away from the people they love or that amount of money on something so (in the grand scheme of things)... unimportant.
That being said, triathlon bikes are just incredibly cool, and I would buy one just to hang it on my wall and look at it. But to be able and get on one and pedal around a course with my age-group just a few minutes after the "elites", in my opinion, is like getting to strap up a pair of hi-tops and play some pick-up ball at the Toyota Center just after YAO and my beloved Rockets hear the final whistle and head to the showers. It's a rare experience in sport that allows you the very same experience the pros get.
So, feel free to check back here and see what's going on. I consider myself a beginner triathlete, even though I've been doing this for about 4 years. I have committed myself to complete my first 70.3 by the end of this year, and have targeted the end of next year to complete my first IM. I've gone through some injury and some economic issues as a result that required me to sell all 3 of the bikes i had in my posession to pay some bills. So you have a chance to travel with me through my journey back out on the road as I search for the perfect bike, and as I try to get myself back into shape and start enjoying the sport I've missed so much for about a year now. I will review the bikes and the specs I'm considering and maybe we can all learn something together.
That's probably enough for the first post, I've got some work to do.
Next post we'll get right into it and talk about the bikes I'm considering.
Cannondale Slice 5, Felt b16, Quintana Roo Seduza
Should be fun... Until then, Spring is here... go do something.
Soulrider

No comments:

Post a Comment