Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Week 3 - Ironman Texas Training

Week three of training for IMTX (ironman texas) was great. Not so much for the quality of my training performances, but more for what I'm learning each time I go out. I am learning to listen to my body. In fact, I'm learning that your body will speak loud and clear when you're doing something it's not quite ready for. Each week I look ahead and plan what my training week should look like. I try to consider what days the family will be home and what the weather is looking like to get the best combination of workouts. I don't want my cycling days to get rained out and force me to run every day of the week. From experience, I know that's the best way to get an injury that may sideline me for a few weeks. Week 3 looked like this:

Mon- rest day - (felt so good, however, decided to introduce my shoulder to a few easy pool laps)
Tue- 1 hr run
Wed- track workout
1 mile warm up jog, 1min sprint, 1min walk, 2min sprint, 2min walk, 3min run, 3min walk,
3min run, 3min walk, 2min sprint, 2min walk, 1min sprint, 1min walk, 1 mile cool down jog.
Thurs- Brick/Core- 1hr bike @ 18-20mph, 15 min run, then Weights: arms, legs, abs, back
Fri - Easy run - 30 mins 10 min/mile pace
Sat- Long Bike Ride - 50 miles at 19-20 mph pace
Sun - 1 hr long run planned - started running and pulled the plug after 18 mins.

The week went so well as far as being able to do the workouts I wanted to do on the days I had planned to do them, I did not feel bad at all about cutting Sunday's long run short. In fact, I didn't have much of a choice. My legs were mush after Saturday's bike ride. I had difficulty putting one foot in front of the other the entire time. I thought I might be able to stretch the soreness out when I stopped at the 4 min mark. Then I thought I might start to loosen up after the 8 min mark. Then finally, after stopping to catch my breath two more times before I had even logged 20 mins on the road, I turned the corner and took it to the house.
Overall, this week was a success. Or, more accurately, I believe the last few weeks have been a success. The sheer quantity of miles and hours accomplished is what I am most pleased with. it tells me that I am doing something right. I would not have been able to complete a week like that last month.

Things I've learned: 2 bottles of fluid & 1/2 a cliff bar per hour worked well on a 2 1/2 hr ride, and core strengthening makes a big difference on a bike ride, leg strengthening makes the knees hurt less on a run.

Now go push yourself and learn something about your body. Fall is coming, you won't have the heat as an excuse for much longer.

Soulrider.

No comments:

Post a Comment