Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Finding God in Triathlon

Ok, so I haven't posted in about three weeks. That's not because I haven't been training... or I haven't had anything interesting to write about... because I have. As far as workouts, just copy and paste the weekly routine and swap the weekend bike rides out with long weekend runs and that's basically what I've done for workouts. This past Saturday I ran the ten mile 10 for Texas in 1:23. Pretty happy with that. However, later that day I got sick. I rode the bike for an hour and ran 3 miles the next day to try and shake off the weakness and that pretty much laid me out for the rest of the weekend. So I've taken Monday and Tuesday as rest days, I've eaten a bunch of junk food, and now that I'm feeling better I'm gonna hit the road again today. But that's not why I haven't blogged. Not because I've been sick, and not because I haven't had anything interesting say. Believe me, I've thought about writing about the shin splint that I feel creeping in on my right leg and how I'm going to go about heading it off at the pass and keep it from derailing my training. No, I haven't written... because... I'm questioning the purpose behind the blog. I don't want to write a bunch of words that just a few people read and appreciate. I want to write something that is going to change people's lives. I don't say this to be arrogant. And I don't say this because I think triathlon has the power to change some one's life. If you do not apply yourself to triathlon and are not able to call upon some inner strength to be a success, triathlon will remain another sport or pass time that you used to think was the answer to all your problems. Much like that Solo flex machine or ab-lounger gathering dust in your garage. I don't want to be like Tony Little on his "Gazelle" and make you think that all you have to do is hop on this thing we call triathlon and all your problems will be answered.
I write about triathlon because it's a great way to recognize and have your life changed by the power of God. There is no greater metaphor in the wide world of sports for the idea of the trinity... Father, Son, Holy Spirit... than the triathlon. Three separate entities coexisting as one powerful being. So, If I am to continue writing about triathlon, I will not be writing so you can think that I am something special for attempting to race an Ironman. And I will not be writing so as to mislead you into thinking that this might help you medicate your particular emotional, physical, or spiritual needs. Much like planting a flag on a mountain, it represents a journey. This is my testimony of the saving grace of the Lord Jesus Christ and the race that I am training to run victoriously. The opportunity that was made available to me is also available to you. Not just an opportunity to get in shape and do something that a lot of people will never do, but an opportunity to change your life and live for something bigger than yourself, a chance to live your life with purpose... whether you actually run a triathlon or not.

2 comments: