Friday, December 17, 2010

It Hurts So Good!

Wow, after months of virtually zero activity, I am finally getting back after it, and boy is it painful. I am amazed at how much fitness one can loose in such a short period of time. Even more surprising is how much more time it seems to take to get it back than it does to lose it. I haven't completely rebuilt my bike after the accident (because wheels are quite expensive... in case you haven't heard) but it is functional, and even though it is getting cooler outside I've been able to jump right back into the saddle with my new trainer. I have a feeling this will end up being one of the best birthday gifts ever. When it's freezing outside and dark when I get off work I can still hop on my bike without giving it another thought. Better yet, no cars to worry about. The other night we were watching "The Biggest Loser" finale and I didn't want to miss it, or time with the family, because I needed to get in some time on the bike. So I wheeled the bike into the kitchen, laid down a towel, and sat on the bike instead of the couch. It was great. It's so quiet that it didn't even interfere with the show or any of our conversations. The biggest hurdle is going to be fitness. May 21st and the Ironman is just around the corner, and in exactly one month the marathon will be here. I don't doubt that I will be able to complete both of these events. Will it be tough? Yes. Will I walk a bunch... absolutely. But to keep things in perspective, whose asking me to do it? Nobody... that's right. So, the only thing I'm going to stress out about is how I can maximize my level of enjoyment while participating in these events.
There's that word again... perspective. I challenge you to think about that word for a while. Apply it to every situation of your life that you find stressful. In the grand scheme of things, how important are these things that we commit our selves to? The Bible tells us to cast all of our cares upon Christ because He cares for us. Do you believe that? Do you really believe that? If you do, then how does your life reflect that? The Bible also tells us to trust in the Lord with all of your heart and lean not unto your own understand but in all your ways acknowledge Him and He will direct your paths. Instead of being discouraged, or stressed, or upset, have hope in a savior that really does love you and has a great plan for your future.

1 comment:

  1. Conversations... while "training". Either this was a recovery ride or you weren't working hard enough. If you are able to utter more than a two word sentence you aren't working hard enough. The great thing about those trainers and spin bikes is you can push yourself to a limit that would be dangerous on the road. If you black out on the trainer it is good entertainment for the family. If you blackout on the road... well that is why we train, so it doesn't happen when it counts. :o

    ReplyDelete